Panel Chair: Sally Jordan (Open University, UK).
Hosted by Dr Mathew Hillier, Monash University, Australia. Starting 07:00AM UTC/GMT. Duration 1 Hour.
This is a joint webinar organised with the Assessment in Higher Education conference secretariat.
A panel of three selected presenters from the International Assessment in Higher Education 2016 professional education seminar (held 30 June) discussed the topic of “Transforming Assessment and Feedback in Higher Education on a wider scale: the challenge of change at institutional level“.
Panel members and topics :
- Sally Brown (Leeds Beckett University) & Kay Sambell (Northumbria University): ‘Changing practice on feedback at an institutional level’
- Amanda Sykes (University of Glasgow) & David Morrison (Plymouth University): ‘Half as Much but Twice as Good: Constructing Effective Written Feedback in Any Subject’
- Juliet Williams (University of Winchester): ‘Changing colours: what happens when you make enhancement an imperative?’
The central addressed at the day event was that while many assessment innovations and research studies are carried out by individuals within a specific module or programme and we lack sufficient evidence of successful efforts to make wider departmental or institutional change in line with our growing knowledge of good practice in assessment. The on-site day event included presentations and discussion of initiatives or research projects that address the challenge of establishing wider and more deep-rooted transformation.
This webinar session took form of a panel review of key findings from the AHE2016 day event. Each panel member contributed to the discussion with a short overview of their presentation from the day event followed by questions and discussion between the panel and the webinar participants.
- Slide Set: TA_webinar_13_jul_2016_slides.pdf [4.5MB] [PPT 5.5MB]
- Chat Log (edited for clarity): TA_webinar_30_jul_2016_chat_log.txt
- Abstracts of panel session presentions – further details PDF.
- Details of the AHE2016 on-site day event held in Manchester UK: https://aheconference.com/ahe-seminar-2016/
- Links shared during the session:
- Keynote by Sue Bloxham from AHE session on 30 June 2016 http://transformingassessment.com/events_30_june_2016.php
- Mark Glynn’s work on using technology to support fast and effective work through Moodle https://enhancingteaching.com/
- Assessment and Feedback section form Teaching and Learning Tool Kithttp://www.gla.ac.uk/services/learningteaching/aftoolkit/
- Transforming the Experience of Students Through Assessment (TESTA) site http://www.testa.ac.uk/index.php/about
- Paper: Tony Harland, Angela McLean, Rob Wass, Ellen Miller and Kwong Nui Sim (2015) An assessment arms race and its fallout: high-stakes grading and the case for slow scholarship. Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education Vol. 40, Iss. 4. (Paywall: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/02602938.2014.931927 )
- Dai Hounsell on ‘commenting constructively’ – http://www.cetl.hku.hk/teaching-learning-cop/high-impact-feedback/
- Michael Henderson (Monash) on ‘video feedback’ see http://ajet.org.au/index.php/AJET/article/view/1878
Multiple formats are available.
You Tube version (Flash video) – recommended version.
A screen cast of the session.
- Start playing via You Tube (note: this is a single file): https://youtu.be/A49PCtEhtQc
Note: You can choose to view in standard definition or high definition and in full screen mode.
Blackboard Collaborate archive version
This uses the classroom system itself to re-play a recording of the event. You are also able to jump forward, back and pause the recording.
- View: https://au-sas.bbcollab.com/site/external/jwsdetect/playback.jnlp?psid=2016-07-12.2326.M.603B1516A8EFB6764BC75F99AC55DB.vcr&sid=2010034
Note: links shown inside this recording are only ‘clickable’ when displayed in the lower left ‘text chat’ area.
Please refer to our help page on how to access the virtual classroom system – help page.